To start with the process of rooting your HTC One S, make sure that you are ready with the following:
- Ensure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device.
- Download CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip (or the latest version of SuperSU from its official XDA thread) to your computer. Do not extract this file. Place this file in the root directory of your phone’s internal storage.
How To Root HTC One S using ClockworkMod recovery
To root your HTC One S using ClockworkMod recovery, follow the steps below:
- Power off your device.
- Hold down Volume down and Power buttons (Volume down + Power) until your screen responds.
- Choose the RECOVERY option from the list to boot into CWM recovery.
- Take a backup of your device by choosing ‘backup and restore‘, and then select ‘backup‘.
- After the backup is complete, ‘go back‘ to the main menu of CWM recovery.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Now select the file CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip (or the latest version of SuperSU) that you had downloaded earlier.
- Choose Yes, and CWM recovery will now start installing the file.
- After successful installation, you can reboot your device by choosing ‘go back’ and then ‘reboot system now’.
- Done! Your phone is now rooted (if everything went fine)!
- Open up your Apps list and you will notice a new app ‘SuperSU’. You can access it anytime to manage root permissions for different apps.
- Congrats! Your HTC One S is now rooted.