You want to always have a successful pen test? I have used this little trick with 100% efficiency. It is very sneaky, basically it is a usb stick that has a female and male end on it, you stick the USB keyboard plug into the back of the device and plug the device back into the system. It will not be detected, and you will have all the keystrokes typed into the workstation or server. I have the 4 GB WiFi option which e-mails me every recorded keystroke at an interval I set.
Obviously your first question is, is this legal? You have to make it legal, using the Penetration Testing contracts provided just need to add a clause that allows you to use social engineering tactics that include keylogging devices, USB sticks and other peripheral devices as part of the test. Almost always I am permitted to do so because it proves a huge weakness with user security awareness. I simply act professional and tell the employee I’m doing an upgrade, replacing their keyboard (not needed, just got the stick on there – takes two seconds) or some other type of maintenance or service.
Once I have the keylogger installed, about 85% of the time employees will allow me access to their systems it will start collecting data. If you have the wifi password or setup your own hotspot, even using your cell phone as one (usually the easiest way) the device will start sending me user data – COMPROMISED! This works on employees as well as upper management and makes you look great for finding weaknesses in their abilities. If you don’t want to setup WiFi you can just come back and another time and remove the device to retrieve the data.
The KeyGrabber Wi-Fi Premium is a wireless keylogger packed with state-of-the-art electronics: two powerful processors, a full TCP/IP stack, a WLAN transceiver, and 4 Gigabytes of memory. How does it work? Besides standard PS/2 and USB keylogger functionality, it features remote access over the Internet. This wireless keylogger will connect to a local Wi-Fi Access Point, and send E-mails containing recorded keystroke data. You can also connect to the keylogger at any time over TCP/IP and view the captured log. Contains a built-in time-stamping module and battery. All this in a device less than 2 inches (5 cm) long!
- Background connection to the Internet over a local Access Point
- Automatic E-mail reports with recorded keyboard data
- On-demand access at any time through TCP/IP
- Support for WEP, WPA, and WPA-2 encryption
- 4 Gigabytes of internal memory in all versions
- Flash drive mode available both in USB and PS/2 versions
- No software or drivers required, Windows, Linux, and Mac compatible
- Mac Compatibility Pack (MCP) option, enhancing performance on all Mac systems
- Ultra compact and discrete, less than 2 inches (5 cm) long
- Internal clock and battery with over 7 years lifetime guaranteed!
- Built-in time-stamping module, just like the KeyGrabber TimeKeeper
- Complete functionality of the KeyGrabber USB or KeyGrabber PS/2
- Available color options for USB version: Black, White
- Available color options for PS/2 version: Black, Gray, Purple